Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

How to report a repair

There are several ways you can report a repair:

Please provide as much information as possible including:

  • your contact details
  • what needs repairing
  • what the problem is
  • any special circumstances
  • your availability for booking an appointment.

If we have enough information we will either come and inspect the problem or place an order for repair. We will offer you a choice of appointment time slots but unfortunately we cannot give a specific time.

Monday to Thursday

  • all day (8am-4pm)
  • AM (8.30am-12.30pm)
  • PM (12-4pm)


  • all day (8am-3.30pm)
  • AM (8.30am-12.30pm)
  • PM (12-3:30pm)

Once we give you an appointment it is important that you are in when we call. If you are not in, we will cancel the job and you may be recharged for a missed call. We will leave a missed appointment card. Please call 01325 405333 so you can arrange a new appointment time or log a repair through Darlington Home Online[external link].

On completion of the work you will be asked to sign that you are happy with the repair. We may also need to inspect work completed to ensure a high standard of workmanship. If you are not satisfied, please contact us and let us know by emailing us at [email protected] or calling us on 01325 405333.

As a landlord we are responsible for the repair of the structure and exterior of the house including:

  • ceilings and plaster work on larger scales
  • doors, window frames, drains, gutters
  • outside walls, the roof and chimneys
  • external fall and waste pipes

for more information please view our repairs handbook

You can book a repair by logging into your Darlington Home Online at any time [external link].

Phone01325 405333 and we will arrange an appointment with you. A property inspector may need to visit and assess the repair before the work is ordered.

As a tenant you are responsible for fixing anything not caused by wear and tear. Examples of this include:

  • blocked sinks, drains, hand basins, baths, WC's
  • changing door locks
  • re-glazing windows and doors
  • shower curtains
  • internal door handles
  • tenant's own fixtures and fittings
  • laminate flooring

for more information please view our repairs handbook [pdf document].

You are responsible for all repairs due to accidental or deliberate damage. If the repair is your responsibility but you ask us to carry out the repair, we will usually charge you. Before the repair is booked in you must sign a recharge form to authorise us to carry out this work.

No work will be issued unless this form is signed by the tenant of the property. Signatures of friends/family will not be accepted.

If you wish to make improvements to your home, you will need to ask permission from us in writing first.

Examples could be:

  • removing doors
  • kitchens
  • installing partitions in bedrooms
  • altering, removing or replacing any walls and boundary fencing or installing laminate flooring.

This list is not exhaustive.

you may still need planning permission to meet building regulations. We may withdraw our permission if a nuisance is caused. Permissions safeguard the property and also make sure that any work done is safe.

You must get written permission before you do any of the following:

  • carry out alterations to the property
  • put a greenhouse or shed in the garden
  • put a garage on the property
  • fit a CB aerial or satellite dish
  • build a parking space or drive
  • build a pigeon cree or aviary
  • decorate the outside of your house

Planning permission/building regulations

You may still need to get planning permission before you start the work. You will need to follow building regulations. All work done at the property needs to be completed to a high standard. A Gas Safe registered engineer must check all works involving gas supply. A NICEIC approved contractor must check all electrical works. Any costs incurred is your responsibility.

Planning application permissions

Building regulation approvals

Do not exaggerate how urgent a problem is to get a quicker response. This stops us from responding to real emergencies. If you, a member of your household or a visitor, have caused damage to the property on purpose, we will charge you to put it right.

Always ask for identification from anyone who calls at your home an claims to work us. All staff carry identification cards. If you are unsure, do not let them into your home and call 01325 405333 for advice.

We have a no smoking at work policy. We ask that you do not smoke in the presence of our staff whilst they are working in your home.

Housing Services Repairs & Maintenance Policy 2023-2028 [pdf document]

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

We hope that we can work together with our residents and listen to their voices and resolve any problems, but if you are unhappy with the response from the Housing team we have a complaints procedure you can follow and you can contact our Complaints Team by:


Install our web app.