Planning and environmental policy
Please note, if you wish to speak to someone about planning permission or a planning application, please call Development Management on 01325 405777.
Proposed Submission Local Plan (Regulation 19) representation period - August 2020
The Proposed Submission Local Plan (Regulation 19) representation period will run from Thursday 6 August 2020 for 6 weeks until 5pm on Thursday 17 September 2020.
For further details, including how you can make comments, please visit the Proposed Submission Local Plan (Regulation 19) webpage [external link].
Local Plan preparation process to restart - August 2020
With the ongoing relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions the council are now looking to restart the Local Plan preparation process. With this in mind we are aiming to publish the Proposed Submission Plan (Regulation 19) for a statutory representation period of 6 weeks commencing early August. Precise dates will be confirmed in due course and are subject to change in line with Government guidance relating to COVID-19. For further information please visit our Local Plan website
Local Plan Deposit (Regulation 19) Representation Period - Update
Due to the ongoing and developing situation with the Coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic we are currently unable to advise when the Local Plan will be placed on deposit. Anyone who has previously commented on the Local Plan or registered on the consultation portal will be informed when we are in a position to place the Plan on Deposit. As you will appreciate we would not want to be in a position where people were unable to be involved. For further information please visit our Local Plan website
Local Plan paused to allow for further analysis
We have paused the delivery of the local plan to allow for further analysis to be completed before it is taken to cabinet in the new year for approval. Further information can be seen on the Council's News page.
The Regulation 6 Consultation on the Middleton St George Neighbourhood Area has now closed
The Council consulted on the Middleton St George Neighbourhood Area from 13 February 2019 to 29 March 2019. More information can be seen on the Neighbourhood Planning page
The Regulation 16 Consultation on the Low Coniscliffe and Merrybent Neighbourhood Plan has now closed.
The Council consulted on the Low Coniscliffe and Merrybent Neighbourhood Plan from Tuesday 20 November 2018 to Monday 7 January 2019. More information can be viewed on the Neighbourhood Planning page
The Draft Darlington Local Plan 2016-2036 Consultation has now closed.
Thank you to all those who have submitted comments and attended our consultation events. Your comments are now being processed and reviewed.
The next stage will be a report to Members with recommendations based on the comments received. This is anticipated to happen in the new year, with dates to be confirmed.
For further details about the Local Plan please visit the designated Local Plan website [external link]
Heighington and Middleton St George - Draft Spatial Plan Consultation
As part of the preparation of the New Local Plan, work has been undertaken on exploring future development opportunities at two of the larger villages in Darlington; Middleton St George and Heighington. Draft spatial plans have been drawn up for both of these villages.
The Council consulted the villages on these draft spatial plans from the 4th Dec 2017 until 8th January 2018.
Draft Planning and Development Brief for Blackwell - Consultation has now ended
The Council consulted on a draft Planning and Development Brief for Land to the East of Carmel Road South (Sites HE1 to HE4 - Former Blackwell Grange Golf Course).
- Landscape and Restoration Plan showing adjoining properties [pdf document]
New Local Plan – Issues and Scoping Consultation
A new 20 year Darlington Local Plan 2016-2036 is being prepared for the whole Borough. Once adopted, it will be the development plan for all matters except minerals and waste. It will replace the existing adopted Darlington Local Development Framework Core Strategy (2011) [pdf document], and saved policies of the Borough of Darlington Local Plan.
Making and Growing Places
Members have now agreed to formally withdraw the draft Making and Growing Places DPD to enable work to start on a comprehensive new Local Plan. For further information, please visit the New Local Plan page
Obtaining copies of planning documents
Paper copies of published documents can be viewed at the Town Hall, Darlington during normal office hours (8:45am - 4:45pm Monday - Thursdays, 8:45am - 4:15pm Fridays).
The following planning documents are available to order:
- The Borough of Darlington Local Plan (adopted 1997, with alterations 2001) is available for purchase in paper format (£18, add £4 if postage is required) or as CD-ROM (£20, postage free). Payment is required with order. Please make cheques payable to Darlington Borough Council.
- The Core Strategy is available in paper format (£15 including p&p).
- The Tees Valley Joint Minerals and Waste Core Strategy DPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p)
- The Tees Valley Joint Minerals and Waste Policies and Sites DPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p)
- The Revised Design of New Development SPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p).
- Green Infrastructure Strategy is available in paper format. The Guide costs £20 including p&p, and the Strategy and the Action Plan cost £12 each including p&p.
- Guidelines for the Introduction of A2 and A3 Uses and Amusement Centres into the Secondary Shopping Frontages of Darlington Town Centre [pdf document] (Adopted 1998 - free of charge)
- Planning Obligations SPD [pdf document] is available in paper format (£12 including p&p).
Contact us at [email protected] or 01325 406724