Dogs Public Space Protection Order Renewal
Darlington Borough Council is proposing a renewal of the Dog Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO).
The existing PSPO sets out five offences:
- Failure to remove dog faeces.
- Not keeping a dog on a lead.
- Not putting and keeping a dog on a lead when directed by an authorised officer.
- Permitting a dog to enter land from which dogs are excluded (including children’s play areas, areas for sporting recreation and school grounds).
- Permitting a dog to be walked in cemeteries on a lead.
Where a PSPO is in force a police officer, police community support officer, a council civic enforcement officer or other council officer witnessing behaviour that breaches its conditions may challenge the individual concerned and ask them to comply. If the individual does not comply with the request, an offence is committed.
An offence involving a PSPO can be punishable by a fine of up to £1,000 or by a fixed penalty of up to £100.
Consultation is open for an eight week period from 6 July to 31 August 2023.
You can have your say on the proposals by completing the survey below