Search the register
Buy a certificate
How do I apply for a copy certificate?
- Online using the search facility at the bottom of this page
- In person at the register office (you can pay by cash, cheque or card)
- Post: The register office, Town Hall, Darlington DL1 5QT
Cheques/postal orders should be made payable to Darlington Borough Council.
Your letter should have contact details should we need to ask you for further information
What records can I apply for?
You can apply to Darlington Register Office for a copy certificate for a birth, death or marriage that occurred in Darlington from 1837 onwards.
We do not hold records for:
- Persons who have been adopted. You can apply here https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office [external link]
- Births in British military establishment. You can apply here https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office [external link]
- Births, deaths and marriages in Scotland. You can apply here https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/ [external link]
- Births, deaths and marriages in Northern Ireland. You can apply here https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office-for-northern-ireland [external link]
- Births, deaths and marriages outside of the UK. You should contact the UK embassy of the relevant country.
Can I apply for someone else’s certificate?
Yes. Register Office records are public records. Anyone can purchase a certificate if they can fully identify the information needed and we are satisfied it is being purchased for an appropriate reason. We do have the right to refuse issue of the certificate and we will explain why if we do this.
What if I can’t find the entry?
The boundary of Darlington has changed over the years. What was Darlington may now either be in County Durham or North Yorkshire. If you have a query about this contact the register office.
How much does it cost?
Certificates are £11.00 each. We don’t charge for postage. You can purchase multiple copies of the same certificate if needed.
We offer a priority whilst you wait service. The cost is £35.00 per certificate. Appointments for the whilst you wait service are subject to availability. Ring the register office on 01325 406 400 for a priority whilst you wait service.
How soon will I receive my certificate?
Standard certificate applications at £11.00 per certificate will be issued within five working days of us receiving your application.
What information do I need to know for the application?
You need to be able to fully identify the correct entry before it can be issued. If we are unable to issue the certificate we will contact you and you may need to find out more information.
If you are unsure of whether you have applied for the correct certificate you can use the validation system where we will check the entry for you and contact you to continue with your application or help you if you haven’t identified the correct one.
Searching the Records
Registration of births, deaths and marriages started in Darlington District in July 1837.
When searching for a birth or marriage, remember to use the maiden name for women. When you find the record you are looking for, follow the link "Apply for certificate XXX" to open an online form in a new window.
The cost of each certificate is £11. You can pay for your certificate(s) online using a credit/debit card or alternatively a cheque must be sent to the Register Office for the correct amount (listed at the end of the application form). You should include on the back of the cheque:
- your name
- your address
- the register and entry number
- the transaction reference that can be found at the bottom of the electronic form
Cheques should be made payable to "Superintendent Registrar" and sent to:
The Register Office,
Your certificates will not be sent until payment is received.
All certificate fees [pdf document]
If you are unsure that your certificates have been accurately identified you can submit the application form to the Register Office for validation. Please choose 'submit application for validation' from the payment options menu and leave your email address for a response. Once validated, you will need to re-apply for the certificates and choose an appropriate payment option.
Payment must be in pounds sterling, and to be drawn from a London based bank account.
Enter values for as many of the search criteria as you can: