Ingenium Parc [external link] is an upcoming development site situated on Salters Lane, near Yarm Road, and is set to become Darlington’s premier location for industrial development in the borough. This £5,000,000 project to provide highway improvements, enabling infrastructure and ecological mitigation at Ingenium Parc, to support Darlington’s growing economy, is principally funded by the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and the National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF). It is envisaged that this investment will lead to the development of up to 100,000sqm employment space and over 2000 jobs by 2036, in one of Darlington’s key long term employment sites, as identified in:
- Darlington’s emerging Local Plan (2018)
- Local Development Framework Core Strategy (2011)
- Darlington's Employment Land review (2009)
Where is it?
Covering an area of 40 hectares off Salters Lane, near Yarm Road, Ingenium Parc is close to a number of established advanced manufacturing and engineering businesses, such as Cummins Engines and Cleveland Bridge, with Grade A office accommodation at Morton Palms Business Park close by. With road connections to the North and South via the A1(M) and from East to West via the A66 as well as fast connections from London to Edinburgh via the East coast mainline from Bank Top station, the site is ideally placed to support manufacturing, engineering, logistics or distribution sectors and provide easy access to a skilled workforce.
What's the plan?
A comprehensive masterplan [pdf document] will guide the future development of the site by outlining the opportunities and constraints that the site presents in order to realise the ambitions of the Council to create an attractive environment and a great place to do business.
Spread across three phases, the Ingenium Parc masterplan will unlock the development potential of the site, initially opening up 11 hectares of development ready employment land and creating up to 1,000 jobs by 2021. In order to realise Darlington Borough Council’s vision for phase 1 key improvements in and around the site include:
- McMullen Road Roundabout and Salters Lane Cycle Route - The project will link to planned investment announced by Highways England to reduce congestion at the A66 Morton Palms roundabout by making improvements to Yarm Road roundabout. This part of the project will provide 2 lanes on each of the roads at the roundabout (except the access into the retail park) and two lanes round the roundabout, helping more vehicles to use the roundabout every hour. The design also includes a new footpath and cycle path to link to the existing paths in Tommy Crooks Park.
- Enabling Infrastructure – The Installation of infrastructure and services will include the creation of 0.5 km Spine Road into the site, the establishment of ecological mitigation zones and the installation of on-site utilities to open 11.15 ha over two plots and allow the creation of up to 45,000sqm commercial floor space and 1000 jobs by 2021.
- Ecology - The Council recognises the ecological biodiversity of the site and adjacent nature reserve, and has worked closely with Natural England to mitigate any loss and enhance the biodiversity and natural habitats on site. Within each individual plot the opportunity to create enhanced habitats that will seamlessly link to the adjoining mitigation areas will also be actively encouraged through Reserved Matters applications. Furthermore, the blue green infrastructure that will be created in the public realm on site will be designed to allow public access and balance the needs of people to enjoy the spaces created with the need to provide habitats and enhanced ecological function.
Two consultation events on the Council’s plans for Ingenium Parc, one for residents and one for businesses, were held in September 2016 and the outcome can be viewed in the Ingenium Parc Consultation Report [pdf document]
The First development plots will be available from 2019/20 and businesses/investors interested in the site should contact the Council’s Business Investment Team
Any comments or queries can be emailed to [email protected] or posted to Economic Projects Team, Town Hall, Darlington, DL1 5QT.