Guests from Ukraine
Darlington is playing its part in helping people affected by the situation in Ukraine.
Links to useful information for people arriving Ukraine, as well as those dedicated to supporting them, will be available on this page.
Ukrainian information, advice and support leaflet [pdf document]
Homes for Ukraine
The government has set up a new scheme, Homes for Ukraine.
The Homes for Ukraine Scheme offers a lifeline to those forced to flee their homes.
- community groups
to bring Ukrainians, forced to escape their homeland, to safety.
This includes those with no family ties to the UK.
How can I help?
Anyone in the UK (of any nationality and any immigration status providing they have at least six months leave to remain in the UK) with a spare room, or separate self-contained accommodation that is unoccupied can come forward to help.
Accommodation must be:
- available for at least 6 months
- be fit for people to live in
- suitable for the number of people to be accommodated
You can find details on the scheme and how to register your interest on the government's Homes for Ukraine web page.
The Government is working on this sponsorship scheme and will match
- community groups
to Ukrainians who do not have established families in the country, so they are able to come to safety the UK.
The Government will also be providing a full support pack for sponsors.
This will contain signposting to relevant services and where they can get help.
Councils have a statutory duty to promote the welfare of adults and children at risk.
We reserve the right to check in on guests and inspect accommodation once they have arrived.
The sponsor guidance makes clear that prospective sponsors will be subject to accommodation and safeguarding checks.
If you have registered as a sponsor the Council will contact you to arrange for an accommodation check to take place.
Frequently asked questions
If you have any queries take a look at our frequently asked questions.
- Welcome guide [external link]
- Move to the UK if you're from Ukraine [external link]
- Register for Homes Ukraine [external link]
- Factsheet [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine campaign [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine: sponsor guidance [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine: guidance for councils [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine: welcome guide for Ukrainian children under 18 [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine: guidance for parents or legal guardians (children and minors applying without parents) [external link]
- Homes for Ukraine: education and childcare grant conditions of funding [external link]