Where are rights of way?
This is not the Definitive Map (legal record) of Public Rights of Way.
You cannot rely on this map to give the exact location of a public right of way.
It records the approximate position for informative and leisure purposes.
To view the Definitive Map for legal inquiries you must view it in person.
Make an appointment using the contact details on this page.
Ordnance survey (OS) maps
Ordnance survey (OS) maps are best for finding your way when walking, riding a horse or cycling in Darlington's countryside.
Types of public rights of way [external link].
The most detailed maps are the OS's Explorer series, sheets 304 and 305.
Sheet 304 (Darlington and Richmond)
Covers most of Darlington apart from northern parishes such as Brafferton and Bishopton.
Sheet 305 (Bishop Auckland)
Covers Bishop Auckland, Spennymoor and Newton Aycliffe.
How to find public rights of way on an Ordnance Survey map [external link]
Section 31A Highways Act 1980 requires the council to keep a public Register of Declarations lodged under s31(6) of that Act.
These declarations and statements allow landowners to acknowledge formally public rights of way across their land.
In doing so, they create a presumption that they have no intention to dedicate any further routes across their land.
- Deposits made up until 14th February 2004 are valid for 6 years.
- Deposits made after 14 February 2004 are valid for 10 years (as amended by schedule 6 paragraph 3 of the CROW Act 2000)
- Deposits made after 1 October 2013 are valid for 20 years (as amended by section 13 of the Growth and Infrastructure Act 2013)
|Landowner||Landowner address||Address of property||Date of deposit map||Date of latest statutory declaration||Declaration valid until|
|Taylor Wimpey Ltd||North House, Wessington Way, Sunderland, SR5 3RL||Land at Harrowgate Hill, Darlington||28/06/2011||31/01/2012||31/01/2022|
|Church Commissioners||Church House, Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3AZ||South Durham Estate - land in Heighington, Walworth, Coatham Mundeville and Archdeacon Newton||13/07/2013||13/07/2013||12/07/2023|
|The Gibson O’Neill Company||
Brignell Road, Riverside Park Industrial Estate, Middlesbrough,
|Rockliffe Park – Rockliffe Hall Hotel and Middlesbrough Football Club||28/08/2014||28/08/2014||27/08/2034|
|Florence Madeline Godolphin||The Wattles, Fowey, Cornwall, PL23 1EF||The Old Rectory Cottage, Crosshills Barns and fields, Great Stainton, Stockton on Tees, TS21 1NA||06/09/2014||11/09/2014||10/09/2034|
|Smiths Gore on behalf of Taylor Wimpey Ltd.||Smiths Gore, 26 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, DL3 7JX||Land at Harrowgate Hill, Darlington||26/09/2014||16/03/2015||25/09/2034|
Newbiggen Farm, Heighington, Darlington, DL2 2UH
Land at White House Lane, Heighington
Church Commissioners, South Durham Estate
- Deposit, Statement and Statutory Declaration Church Commissioners, South Durham Estate [pdf document]
- Maps [pdf document]
Florence Madeleine Godolphin
- Declaration part A [pdf document]
- Statement part A [pdf document]
- Statement part B [pdf document]
- Declaration part C [pdf document]
- Signed Declaration Part F [pdf document]
- Map Florence Madeleine Godolphin [pdf document]
- Rockliffe Hall - Deposit and Statement [pdf document]
- Rockliffe Hall - Declaration [pdf document]
- Middlesbrough Football and Athletics Company - Deposit and Statement [pdf document]
- Middlesbrough Football and Athletics Company - Declaration [pdf document]
- Deposit, Statement and Statutory Declaration Messers Ball [pdf document]
- Deposit of Statement and Plans Messers Ball [pdf document]
The Land at Harrowgate Hill
- Deposit of Statement and Plan The Land at Harrowgate Hill [pdf document]
- Statutory Declaration The Land at Harrowgate Hill [pdf document]