Number Forty is a safe space for everyone on a night out in Darlington town centre. You can enjoy our pubs, clubs, restaurants, cafes and cinema and know we are there to help you if you need it. From reuniting you with lost friends to providing first aid - we are there for you!
Our volunteer staff have direct links to the police, the CCTV team and door staff around the town so you know you’re in a safe place.
Where are we?
Find us at 40 Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7NR.
How are we staffed?
We are staffed by trained volunteers.
When are we open?
- 9pm to 3am every Friday and Saturday,
- 9pm to 12pm on MonGay nights (second Monday of every month).
How long has it been open?
We opened in September 2022
Darren, one of our volunteers said: “We can help if you are feeling unsafe or vulnerable. If you’ve become separated from your friends or you just need your phone charging so you can make a call.
"The building is accessible to wheelchairs and we have an accessible WC and gender neutral WCs.
"We can provide water to rehydrate people and we have blankets if people are feeling the cold.
"A common request is for flip flops for aching feet or to replace heels that have broken off.
"The support of CCTV means we can answer pretty much any query and summon support for whatever issue people have.”
Our work Sept 2022 - Sept 2023
- More than 400 people helped.
- 29 volunteer signed up.
- More than 50 blankets knitted and donated.
- 100 pairs of flip flops handed out.
- 35 people given first aid.
- £11,000 saved on ambulance charges.
Be a volunteer!
Number Forty couldn't help anyone without our fantastic volunteers. They give up their own time to open the doors and offer help to everyone coming in.
Volunteering at Number Forty is a rewarding experience. It is also a great way to gain skills and experience that can help you in other areas of your life. You can write about it on job or university applications to show your skills. Being a volunteer also builds confidence and team working skills as you deal with whatever issue comes up.
If you would like to volunteer, please email[email protected] and we will send you an application form.
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age
- No previous experience is necessary
- We provide all appropriate training free of charge
- There is no minimum or maximum requirement for the amount of time you need to volunteer.
- Darlington Borough Council
- Durham Constabulary
- Durham Police and Crime Commissioner's Office