Darlington town centre has a catchment area population of about 500,000 people and has over 600 shops and businesses.
The town centre, which was pedestrianised in 2007, is compact with old and new standing side-by-side including high street shopping, two indoor shopping centres and unique specialist shops.
The town centre builds on its heritage as a market town with fresh local produce on sale in the Victorian covered market, a vibrant outdoor market on Saturdays and Mondays.
In addition to the variety of shops on offer, the town centre also boasts many other features including:
- Attractive floral displays
- Unique public art - Life Pulse and Market Cascade
- Street events and attractions
- Relaxing pavement cafés
- Restaurants serving food from around the world
- A buzzing nightlife, with numerous bars and clubs
- Indoor multi-sport facility - the Dolphin Centre [external link]
- Darlington Hippodrome [external link]
- Crown Street Library [external link]
- Darlington Heritage Trail [external link]