Volunteering with Darlington’s Ranger Team
Darlington Borough Council is looking for willing volunteers to assist our ranger team with managing our parks, nature reserves and green spaces.
As a volunteer you can play an integral role in keeping our green spaces in tip top condition, that benefits both people and wildlife.
What do we do?
Practical site management including scrub, hedge, tree, grass and flower management.
Tree, flower plugs and bulb planting. Control of invasive plants such as knotweed.
Helping with infrastructure repairs such as fencing, gates and benches.
Managing pond vegetation to maximise biodiversity, without getting wet!
Events such as corporate team building days.
What’s in it for you?
Become a valued member of a professional team enhancing our natural environments.
You will learn about nature reserve and park management, using a range of hand and power tools such as strimmer's, hedge cutters and leaf blowers.
And when the sun is shining, it’s a lot of fun.
Protective clothing and ranger uniform is provided for regular volunteers.
What skills do you need?
Knowledge is not as important as enthusiasm for what we do, as there is plenty of on the job training.
Of course it would be good if you are able to work in a team, reliable, hardworking and happy to work outside in most weather conditions.
How much time should you give?
The ranger team goes out each week on a Wednesday and Thursday.
You can choose how often you join in.
For more information, contact: [email protected].
Here are some local groups who would welcome volunteers.
Wildlife Trusts and groups
- Durham Wildlife Trust [external link]
- Tees Valley Wildlife Trust [external link]
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust [external link]
- RSPB Durham local group [external link]
- Darlington Forest Project [external link]
- West Park [external link]
- Rockwell [external link]
- Drinkfield Marsh Facebook page [external link]
- Fryers Field Facebook page [external link]
- The Denes Facebook page [external link]
- Maidendale Nature Reserve Facebook page [external link]
National Parks and nature volunteers
- North York Moors National Park [external link]
- Yorkshire Dales National Park [external link]
- Nature volunteers [external link]
- Sustrans [external link]
- BikeStop [external link] (volunteers to help recycle donated bikes to support those furthest away from employment)