Eligibility and Paying for Support

Self assessment

If you feel you need support please make use of the self assessment toolsto see if you are eligible for help and to see how much you may pay.

There is usually a cost for care and support services unlike health care which is free to everyone at the point of delivery. This page tells you about charging, how to apply for financial help and ways to pay for your care and support services.

You may find it useful to get advice from an independent financial adviser or an independent organisation.

In light of the implementation of the Care Act 2014, Darlington Borough Council have developed new policies in relation to Charging for Residential, Non Residential Services and deferred payment agreements.

If you have been assessed as needing support, the Financial Assessment Team will assess whether you may need to make a financial contribution to the cost of your care. However, current capital limits will apply, and your savings are also considered. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

As part of the Self Directed Support Process we work out what people over the age of 18 have to pay for the support they receive to make sure that everyone is treated fairly. To do this a financial assessment will need to be completed to calculate how much you can afford to contribute towards the cost of your support. One of our Visiting Financial Assessment Officers will arrange to visit you to work out what this amount will be.

To discuss your care and support needs further please contact the Adult Duty Team who will arrange a financial assessment or review if required, please contact:

Telephone: 01325 406820
Email: [email protected]