What is a leaseholder?

Leaseholders are people bought their council flat from Darlington Borough Council. A leasehold means that you own the flat, but we own the building and land. You will pay a share of landlord's costs. We call this a service charge, which helps maintain the services to the block and building. Your service charge will be calculated and charged annually.

The Leaseholder handbook is currently being updated. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact us.

Right to buy

If you are interested in buying your flat there is information on theGOV.UK website[external link]

Rights and responsibilities

There are several laws and acts protecting your rights as a leasehold tenant. Please refer to theleasehold advisory service[external link]


If you have any questions or comments please contact the Housing Accounts team on 01325 405333.

  • ground rent
  • cleaner
  • door entry
  • structural insurance
  • upkeep of grassed areas
  • major works
  • building insurance

You can pay the full amount within 28 days using different methods of payments.

You also can pay in monthly installments. You can do this by making arrangements with our Agresso Support Team. You can call them on 01642 528385.

If you cannot pay your service charge bill, don't ignore it! It will not go away and you could end up losing your home if you don't try to pay it. Call us on 01325 405333 and we can help you.

If you have a query with your statement or bill, email:[email protected]

As a leaseholder, you have the right to improve your home. Some improvements you will need written permission from us. You must ask permission for any alterations/improvements. You can write to your management officer. We do not need to know about minor work such as decorating.

You can report any external repairs relating to your property to us. If you think we are responsible for a repair, call 01325 405333 or visit our repair pages.

If you smell gas our emergency repairs page has further instructions. 

We will consult you about any major works or services to your building or estate. This may include installing lifts, rewiring communal areas, or cavity wall insulation.

We will tell you the details about the proposed works, when we expect the work to start, and the expected cost. You will be able to comment and we will respond on all proposed major work plans. 

As a leaseholder it is your responsibility to maintain, repair and service the gas appliances, in your home. This includes the boiler.

Any installations of gas appliances must be carried out by a gas safe engineer [external link]

All gas hobs need a Flame Failure Device if they are being installed in:

  • flats
  • maisonettes
  • bedsits

The fabric of the building is insured by the Council, through Zurich Municipal. You pay a proportion of the annual premium on your annual leaseholder statement. A copy of the Building Insurance policyBuilding Insurance Policy[pdf document] is attached.

If you need to make a claim please download the attached claim form[pdf document]. You can also telephone Housing Services on 01325 405333 if you need further advice.

For more information call the housing accounts team on 01325 405333 or email[email protected]

Install our web app.