Sufficiency of childcare review
We have a duty to make sure there is enough childcare for:
- working parents;
- parents who are studying;
- parents who are training for employment.
In Summer 2021 we carried out a sufficiency of childcare review.
The review looked at childcare for:
- children aged up to 14 years;
- 18 years for those young people with a disability.
- Darlington’s childcare sufficiency assessment 2021-2022 [pdf document]
- Childcare providers staff recruitment and retention survey [pdf document]
Department for Education parent and childcare provider ‘Rights to request’
In Summer 2016, the Department for Education established the parent and childcare provider ‘Rights to request’.
This allows the use school facilities for wrap around and/or holiday childcare at times when the school is not using them.
‘Rights to request’ refer to children from reception up to the end of key stage 3 (year 9).
A parent’s ‘right to request’ refers only to the school that their child attends.
The Department for Education guidance [pdf document] sets out the process schools should go through when considering these requests.
If you would like to comment on childcare in the Borough, either:
- email Nicola Davies, Early Years Projects Officer - [email protected]
- contact the Families Information Team - [email protected] or telephone 01325 406222 (option 7)