Bulky waste collection
Bulky waste is items that cannot go in your normal rubbish or recycling bin. A full list of what we can and can’t collect as bulky waste can be found below.
We collect bulky waste items Tuesday to Friday between 7am and 4:45pm. Find your bulky waste collection day here.
The cost for up to six items is £18.80.
Two black bags of household waste count as one item. If you have more than six items we will charge £18.80 for each set of six items, up to a maximum of 24.
Card payments must be made at the time of booking a bulky waste collection.
Book a bulky waste collection
You can book a bulky waste collection online using the button below. You must have a My Darlington+ account to use the online service.
We can’t collect items from your back garden or yard.
We will not remove items left anywhere other than the location recorded on the request form.
You will need to arrange another collection for these items which will be chargeable.
Items we will collect
- Bath panel
- Bed base/frame
- Bunk bed
- Calor gas heater (no gas bottles)
- Carpet (one roll or one bag of carpet pieces)
- Clothes horse
- Computer equipment – monitor/screen
- Cot/Cot mattress
- Doors – internal
- Doors - external, front or back door, single garage door (only), patio door
- Electrical – vacuum cleaner
- Electrical – microwave
- Electrical – video recorder/DVD
- Electrical – music system/speakers
- Electric Fire
- Fire surround
- Fish tank
- Freezer or fridge (please note we don't collect these items from commercial properties)
- Garage doors
- Garden equipment – lawnmower, strimmer
- Garden equipment – strimmer, fork, hoe, spade
- Glass – if smashed in a box
- Hand basin
- Kitchen cupboard
- Pet Equipment – rabbit hutch, dog kennel
- Piano - Upright & Grand
- Play equipment – slide, swing or climbing frame (must be dismantled before collection)
- Refuse sacks (up to 12 bags, not garden waste)
- Satellite dish
- Sofa (three piece suite counts as three single items)
- Shower cubicle
- Sofa bed
- TV aerial
- Tumble dryer
- Underlay (one roll or one bag of underlay pieces)
- Wardrobes (dismantled)
- Washing machine
- Window or window frame
Items we won’t collect
- Car parts
- Car batteries
- Cooking Oil
- Fence panels
- Fridges/Freezers from commercial properties
- Fluorescent Tubes
- Garage Door - double size
- Garden Waste
- Gas Bottles
- Hazardous waste
- Hot tub
- Laminate flooring
- Large tonne dumpy bags full of waste
- Medical waste
- Mobility scooters
- Oil Drums (full or partially full)
- Paint tins (full or partially full)
- Plaster board (gypsum)
- Railway Sleepers
- Everything must be out by 7:00am on the day of collection. The items should be on the boundary of your property and as near to a vehicle collection point as possible.
- We can’t collect items from your back garden or yard.
- The items must not obstruct anyone else’s property.
- Items must be kept dry. We can’t pick up items that are soaked with water such as mattresses or sofas.
- Large, heavy objects must be secured or laid flat in order to prevent injuries.
- You will need to dismantle play equipment and large wardrobes.
- In poor weather conditions we may need to re-arrange your collection.
- you can change the date of your bulky waste collection and amend or add items by calling Street Scene on 01325 405111
- changes can only be made if you call before 1pm, the day before the collection date.
You can cancel a collection and receive a refund only if you call before 1pm the day before the planned collection. You can do this by calling 01325 405111.
Commercial waste is chargeable at £36.42 (no VAT) per 15 minutes of loading time. Call 01325 405111 to book. An assessment of the waste may be needed.
We do not collect fridges or freezers from commercial properties.
Collections from charities are a standard charge of £18.80 per six items. Call 01325 405111 to arrange a collection. Collections must be made from a registered charity address.
If you have good quality furniture that you no longer want, you may be able to give it to King's Church Darlington or FRADE. Both run a non-profit furniture recycling scheme where people on income-based benefits can buy items.
- Kings Church Darlington [external link] - Tel: 01325 469884
- FRADE [external link] - Tel: 01642 608791
If you prefer, you can take items yourself to the tip and dispose of them there. If you are using a commercial vehicle you will need a permit and you will need to check if your items can be disposed of free of charge.