Household waste recycling centre (Tip)



Mewburn Road, off Whessoe Road

The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) is open from 8am until 6pm, seven days a week (with the exception of Christmas Day and New Years Day).

The recycling centre may need to close if the weather is bad (especially in high winds). We will update the website and our social media pages with any closures (Mon-Fri during office hours) but would ask residents to bear this in mind if planning to use the centre in bad weather.

Who can use the HWRC? 

Darlington Borough Council are required to offer a Household waste recycling facility to residents in Darlington. This is a statutory service and is for domestic householders only for them to dispose of household waste.

What is household waste? 

The best way to describe household waste is to think of the things you would take with you if you were moving house, such as furniture, cookers, rugs, furnishings, electrical items and toys. 

Household waste can be left at the HWRC free of charge if you are bringing it in your car.

Who needs a permit? 

If you need to bring your household waste to the site in a commercial vehicle (such as a rented van) or trailer between 4-6 foot long you will need to apply for a free permit. The reason we do this is to prevent businesses using the tip for commercial waste.

If the only vehicle you have is a van which you use for business as well as personal use, you can still bring it the HWRC, providing you obtain a permit first. There are some restrictions on the days and times you are able to use your permit.

I am renovating my house – can I drop off old carpets and furniture?

If you are getting rid of household waste, then as long as you use a car to drop the items off you can leave them at the HWRC between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Sunday.

If the items are so big you need to use a commercial-type vehicle you will need to apply for a free permit before you visit the HWRC

How do I apply for a permit? 

Call us on 01325 405111 with details of what you are bringing to the site, when you are planning to visit, and the make, model and registration number of your vehicle. A free permit will be produced and you can collect this from the Town Hall.

If you order your permit before 2:45pm it will be produced and available for you after 3pm the same day. If you order after 3pm, it will be available for you after 3pm the following day. Collect from the Town Hall, Feethams, Darlington, DL1 5QT

To collect a permit you must bring your driving license and proof of your address, for example a Council Tax bill. 

If someone else will be driving or collecting the permit for you, please advise us of this when you order you permit. Permits will only be released to the person who applied for it or the person named on the comments as driving.

If someone else is collecting, they need to prove their ID and your proof of address.

Once you have got your permit you can come to the HRWC in a commercial vehicle to leave your household waste. You will be asked to hand over your permit as you enter the site.

Please note, you only need a permit if you are using a commercial vehicle to drop off domestic household waste for free. You don’t need one if you are using your car. You also do not need one if the items you are taking are chargeable.

What items are accepted on a tip permit? 

Any items you would take with you if you were moving house can be taken to the tip. This includes things like furniture, cookers, rugs, furnishings, electrical items, clothes and toys. You can also take garden waste and grass cuttings.

Items that you can't take on a permit include:

  • Tyres
  • Paving Slabs and roof tiles
  • Brick Rubble
  • Ceramics (this includes tiles, sinks, baths and toilets)
  • Household fittings
  • Construction waste
  • Plasterboard waste
  • Soil and landscaping (general garden waste like grass clippings is okay)
  • Bonded asbestos

Anything that is part of the construction or fixtures and fittings of your house cannot be included on your permit.

How can I dispose of items the HWRC does not accept? 

You can still take these items to the tip however there will be a charge. These charges are specified by the John Wade group and prices are available from them on request. Other options are:

  • Hire a skip or waste disposal bag service collection
  • Take your waste to a licensed waste disposal company or arrange for a company to collect from you.
  • Reuse the waste where possible or advertise it on websites like Freecycle or Freegle.
  • Social media pages have local sites where you can offer things for free such as unwanted rubble, top soil or wood.
  • Use our bulky waste collection service

What happens when I arrive at the tip 

When you arrive you must get your vehicle checked before you start to offload.

  • You will need to present your permit to the operatives.
  • Anyone attending site without a valid permit will be refused entry.
  • Your vehicle registration, make and model must match the one on your permit.

If they do not match you will be refused entry to the site.

When can I access the site using a permit? 

Once you have got your permit you will be allowed into the HWRC on:

  • Mondays (10am-2pm)
  • Wednesdays (10am-2pm)
  • Fridays (10am-2pm)
  • Saturdays (8am-12pm)

Please note that tip permits can’t be used on Public / Bank holidays

What vehicles can access the HWRC? 

Cars can access the HWRC and no permit is necessary. Some commercial vehicles are allowed provided they have a permit. Please see the table below for vehicle information.

Vehicle types and required permits
Vehicle type Permit required?
Cars No permit required
Any commercial vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes Permit required
Car with trailer longer than 4ft but shorter than 6ft Permit required
Trailers over 6ft in length Prohibited from the site
Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes Prohibited from the site
Vehicles over 6ft in height Prohibited from the site

Please note, Commercial Vehicles includes vans, pick-ups, mini busses etc, even if they have no commercial signage.

Can I still take grass cuttings and other gardening rubbish to the HWRC? 

Grass cuttings and gardening rubbish can be left at the HWRC.

Can I access the site on foot? 

The site does not have pedestrian access for residents; there are large vehicles entering the site which makes it a dangerous place for pedestrians to be.

However, if you arrive on foot with a small amount of WEEE (waste electrical electronic equipment) that you can physically carry; a member of staff will take it for you.

Only residents of the borough are permitted to use the HWRC for disposal of Household waste only. Anyone attempting to deliver commercial or business waste to the HWRC will be refused entry. This includes Landlords disposing of items from rented properties.