Induction to Public Health
The Health and Social Care Act 2012 gives upper tier and unitary local authorities responsibilities for Public Health from April 2013.
Public Health is about:
- Influencing the factors that affect health and ill health in local communities
- Improving the health of the population
- Protecting the population from hazards to health (health protection)
- Preventing ill health through advising National Health Service (NHS) commissioners of health services and improving quality of services.
The Council carries out this function by:
- Commissioning public health services from a range of providers
- Exercising our influence to improve Public Health outcomes in Darlington
- Provide NHS commissioners with the public health advice they need
- The Director of Public Health (DPH) must provide assurance that there are plans in place to protect the health of the population.
Useful information relating to Public Health in Darlington
- Health Profiles for Darlington
- Health profile 2013 [pdf document]
- Health profile 2014 [pdf document]
- Health profile 2015 [pdf document]
- Health profile 2016 [pdf document]
- Health profile 2017 [pdf document]
- Health profile 2018 [pdf document]
- Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA)
- Professional evidence base
- Darlington Health and Wellbeing Plan 2017-2022
For Information on complaints relating to the Public Health Services please see the complaints pages