Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Paying your rent

There are lots of ways to pay your rent.  Click on the options below for more information.


You can pay your rent, as well as reporting repairs and contacting the Housing team if you have a Darlington Home Online account.

Already registered? Log in here[external link],

Or new users can register here[external link].

To register you will need your tenancy reference number and an email address.

Take the stress out of remembering to pay your rent by setting up a Direct Debit to pay your rent automatically from your bank/building society account.

You can choose from the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of the month for your payment to leave your account.

To set up a Direct Debit, complete and return a direct debit form [pdf document].

If you are a Darlington Credit Union customer you will be unable to set up a Direct Debit to pay your rent. Please contact them for more advice on this.

You can set up a standing order via your bank.  If you have online banking you should be able to do this online.  

If you prefer to visit your branch please use the standing ord​er form [pdf document] to ensure you have the details your bank will need.

You will need your 9 digit tenancy reference number.  You can find this on your Girobank rent payment card.  If you don't know your tenancy reference number please contact us.


Pay your rent 24 hours a day by calling 0300 456 2671.

Use your Girobank payment card at any Post Office or Pay Zone shop [external link].

You can make cash or card payments in the customer services centre at the Town Hall during business hours.

What if I can't pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us as soon as possible.

We have a specialist tenancy sustainment team who can give you advice and support. So please tell us if you have a problem.

Visit the Problems paying your rent page for more advice and information.

Useful information

Data Protection

To protect you, we can only discuss your rent account with you, unless we have your authorisation to speak to someone else who is acting on your behalf.

If you want us to speak to someone who will act on your behalf, please complete an access to personal information form [pdf document]. You can email [email protected] and request to send this via DocuSign to digitally sign. Alternatively send your completed form to us by:

  • email at[email protected]
  • hand it in at our customer services
  • or post it to: Housing Services, Darlington Borough Council, Town Hall, Feethams, Darlington, DL1 5QT

Universal Credit

You can claim Universal Credit online [external link]. If you need help contact Citizens Advice[external link].

Housing Benefit

Use the benefits calculator to see if you are entitled to Housing Benefit.  If you are entitled to claim, you can apply for housing benefit online.

How to contact us

There are several ways you can contact us:

Any emergency repairs can be reported to 01325 405333 24/7 365 days a year.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

We hope that we can work together with our residents and listen to their voices and resolve any problems, but if you are unhappy with the response from the Housing team we have a complaints procedure you can follow and you can contact our Complaints Team by:

Install our web app.