Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Problems paying your rent

We're here to help

If you are having problems paying your rent please tell us straight away.

There is a range of help available such as affordable repayment plans.

We can also provide advice on:

Rent payments

We understand that this is a worrying time and that you may encounter financial difficulties in the next few months.

If you think you may struggle to pay your rent as a result of the coronavirus, please get in touch with us.

We have a dedicated Rent team who will provide you with support and guidance.

They can help you during this difficult time, you can contact them at [email protected].

A member of the team will get back in touch with you either by email or by phone.

Don’t forget that you are still liable for paying your rent.

We may be able to help you to arrange a manageable payment plan if you get behind on your payments.

Additional support

Want to know more about Universal Credit?

The Universal Credit and you [external link] page has all the information you will need and how to apply.

If your income has reduced, you may be eligible for support in paying your council tax.

Please go to our council tax page. 

You will need to let us know if you are claiming council tax support and there has been a change to your income.

If there has been a change of circumstances they will need to re-asses your claim.

You may be worrying about how you are going to pay your utility bills.

For those on pre-payment meters, you may worry how you’re going to keep them topped up.

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers.

This is to ensure you don’t face any extra hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak.

If you are struggling with money problems or are repaying a debt, options will include:

  • reviewing bill payment plans, including debt repayment plans
  • payment breaks or reductions in how much you pay
    giving you greater time to pay
  • in some cases access to hardship funds.

Support will be available if you are having to self isolate at home.

This is if you think you can’t afford to pay for any extra gas or electricity used during self isolation.

You may be eligible for help through the local Citizens Advice Darlington.

You can contact their Community Support Scheme, please call them on 01325 734991.

Visit the Ofgem website for more information. [external link].

Please contact Northumbrian Water if you have a water meter.

They can help you if you are struggling with your payments.

You can find more information on the Northumbrian Water website. [external link],

What if I can't pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us as soon as possible.

We may be able to help you to make an affordable repayment plan.

Our tenancy sustainment team may be able to give you advice and support.

Don’t put off contacting us, the sooner you contact us the sooner we can help.

If you have other money worries or debts you can contact a specialist debt advice agency:

Money Advice Service

Darlington Citizens Advice

Step Change

How to contact us

There are several ways you can contact us:

Any emergency repairs can be reported to 01325 405333 24/7 365 days a year.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

We hope that we can work together with our residents and listen to their voices and resolve any problems, but if you are unhappy with the response from the Housing team we have a complaints procedure you can follow and you can contact our Complaints Team by:

Install our web app.