Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Acupuncture, Tattooists, Piercing and Electrolysis and Semi Permanent Skin Colouring

Licence summary

Tattooing is the insertion into the skin of any colouring material designed to leave a permanent mark.

To offer skin-piercing treatments including:

  • tattooing
  • acupuncture
  • ear piercing
  • body piercing

both the person performing the treatment and the premises must be registered with Darlington Borough Council.

Application process

We aim to notify all applicants that their application has been received within three working days - online applicants will be notified by email.

You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practising without a licence in this field.


To apply for a licence a fee of £294.00 is payable.

Regulation summary [external link]

Byelaws on to tattooing are available on request.

Application evaluation process

We will consult with health and safety and an inspection of the premises will be carried out.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us using the contact details below.

How to apply

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days.

If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email.

Download an application form

Downloadable application forms are available below. Return them to us using the contact details at the bottom of the page.



Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the County Court.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the advice guide [external link] will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre [external link].


Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices.


Install our web app.