Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

New drivers

New drivers should follow these steps.

Step 1

All new drivers must apply for an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

You will need to provide us with the DBS code.

Within 28 days of your DBS application, you must subscribe to the DBS upgrade service, it costs £13 per year.

Darlington Borough Council will check your DBS status electronically every six months.

The initial application must be completed by logging into the DBS website [external link]

Enter the organisation reference DBC123 and password is Darlington

You need to make an appointment for your ID to be verified by Darlington Borough Council.

DBS or right to work ID check appointment

Once your identification has been checked you will need to pay £44.

Pay for a DBS check online

You can still apply for your badge while waiting for your DBS certificate.

The documents required to enable us to verify your details are listed here.

You must provide one document from Group 1 and any two additional documents from any group.

Group 1 primary identity documents

  • Current valid UK passport
  • Biometric residents permit
  • Current driving licence (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and can be full or provisional) A photo card is only valid if the individual presents it with the associated counterpart licence
  • Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) issued at time of birth. Full or short form is acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas such as embassies, high commissions, armed forces.

Photocopies are not acceptable.

Group 2a trusted government or state issued documents

  • Current UK driving licence (old style paper version)
  • Current non UK photo driving licence, valid only for applicants living outside of the UK at time of application
  • Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office or relevant authority i.e. registrar.
  • Marriage/ Civil Partnership certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
  • Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)
  • Fire Arms Licence (UK and Channel Islands)

Photocopies are not acceptable.

Group 2b financial/ social history documents

  • Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA)
  • Financial Statement e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK) less than three months old
  • P45/P60 statement (UK and Channel Islands) issued within the last 12 months
  • Council Tax statement (UK and Channel Islands) issued within the last 12 months
  • Work Permit/Visa (UK residence permit) issued within the last 12 months
  • Utility Bill not a mobile phone bill less than three months old
  • Benefit Statement child allowance, pension less than three months old
  • A document from Central/Local Government/Government agency/Local Authority giving entitlement (UK and
    Channel Islands) e.g. from Department of Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs and Revenue,
    Job Centre, Job Centre plus, Social Security less than three months old.
  • EU National ID card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)

Complete a Child Sex Exploitation course.

You will need to provide us with a certificate.

Register and take the course online [external link].

You will need to take a driver assessment test.

Hartlepool Borough Council is approved to manage and deliver taxi assessments on behalf of Tees Valley local authorities.

More information and details of how to book a test in the guide to your Tees Valley Taxi Assessment [pdf document]

You will need to share your driving licence with us.

View or share your driving licence information [external link]

You will need to download a medical assessment form which needs to be completed and signed by your GP.

Your GP must be one who has knowledge of your medical history.

Download the medical examination report [pdf document].

Alternatively we can post this out to you if you email your name and address to taxi [email protected].

When you have completed these and obtained the relevant information you can apply for a licence online.

This must be completed by the applicant applicant’s own GP or a medical practitioner with access to the applicant applicant’s medical history.

The medical certificate will be valid for a period of 6 months after which either a new medical form or letter (from original GP) confirming that there has been no change in the medical fitness of the applicant.

Once the medical is 12 months old a letter will not be accepted and a new medical will be required.

Applicants aged over 45 years must provide evidence of their medical fitness to hold a licence every five years and once they reach the age of 65 years an annual medical will be required.

If a driver has a medical condition that requires notification to the DVLA e.g. sleep apnoea they must also notify the Council in writing at the same time that DVLA is notified.

In addition to the above requirements where a driver suffers from a condition that requires monitoring but would not prevent him/her from driving (s)he is required to provide written confirmation from his GP or consultant, as recommended by the DVLA standards, each year that s/he remains fit to carry out the duties of a driver and/or may be required to submit an annual medical.

Step 2

Make the appropriate application

Documents you are required to upload with your application:

  • Driving Licence
    • Must have held a full DVLA driving licence for a period of 12 months before an application for the grant of a driver’s licence will be accepted.
    • Expired Licences will not be accepted.
    • You need to provide a copy of your photo card driving licence. This can be a scanned image or a photograph taken on a phone or tablet.
  • Right to work Identity Document
  • Recent Photograph
    • You can take this on your phone or tablet.
    • It needs to be a in the similar format as a passport photo.
    • taken within the last 6 months
    • clear and in focus
    • in colour
    • contain no other objects or people
    • be taken against a plain light-coloured background
    • be in clear contrast to the background
    • not have ‘red eye’
    • must include your head, shoulders and upper body.
    • face forwards and look straight at the camera
    • have a plain expression and your mouth closed
    • have your eyes open and visible
    • not have hair in front of your eyes
    • not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
    • not have anything covering your face
  • Medical Assessment Form
    • This needs to be signed and completed by your doctor.
  • Driving Assessment Test Certificate
    • This needs to be signed and completed by your doctor.
  • CSE Awareness Certificate

Hackney carriages are public transport vehicles which are licensed to "ply for hire".

They can:

  • be hailed by prospective passengers in the street
  • park on a rank to await the approach of passengers

Apply for a Hackney Carriage Driver’s Licence

Private hire vehicles (or minicabs) are public transport vehicles.

However, a private hire vehicle cannot ply for hire or stand in a rank.

It must be pre booked with a private hire
operator for example through the operator, usually by telephone.

Apply for a Private Hire Driver’s Licence

Dual badge drivers are licensed to drive both types of taxi.

Apply for a Dual Badge Driver’s Licence

Step 3

Arrange a document check and book a test

We need to check two things,

  • your proof of identity to support your DBS check
  • evidence of your Right to Work in the UK

For the DBS you need to bring proof of identity documents.

Citizens Advice has a guide to what identity documents are acceptable.

How to prove your right to work in the UK [external link]

Right to work

British drivers can provide a UK passport as proof or a birth certificate including the name of at least one parent plus proof of a valid National Insurance number. (For example a formal document/letter from HMRC not an NI card).

Switzerland and EEA must provide proof of right to work.

Non EU citizens must provide right to work evidence in line with Home Office guidelines.

This is usually a biometric residents permit and a valid passport.

This is checked annually. prove your right to work [external link].

Knowledge tests are held fortnightly.

You can book a place by calling:

01325 40 5888

This test includes knowledge of the local geography, driver conduct / conditions, Highway Code and licensing legislation.

The application fee includes one free test. Subsequent tests require a fee each time of £35.

Booking for tests cannot be accepted unless the appropriate fee is paid.

After 6 attempts your application will be rejected and you will need to re-apply.

If an application is pending > 6 months the applicant must provide a new DBS Certificate and a new Medical Assessment or GP letter confirming that there has been no change in the medical fitness of the applicant.

If a test is cancelled < 2 working days days’ notice or is more than 10 minutes late for the test without a reasonable excuse, a further fee shall be required prior to a re test being booked.

Install our web app.