What requires building regulation approval
- Renovation of thermal element (for example replacement floor, wall insulation and replacement roofs)
- New buildings
- Drainage work (including placement of fittings)
- Removal of internal walls (loadbearing or non-loadbearing)
- Erection of walls to form additional rooms
- Replacement of structural elements
- Replacement or removal of doors and windows
- Conversions (for example: loft conversions, garage conversions)
- Change of use
Builders and developers are required by law to obtain building control approval for most building work. This is an independent check that Building Control carry out to ensure the building regulations have been complied with.
- A guide to the ten stages of building [pdf document]
- Exempt work [pdf document]
- Guidance for building work covered by Competent Persons Schemes [pdf document]
- Guide to extending your home [external link]
- Local Authority Building Control home owner guides [external link]
- Neighbour consideration [pdf document]
- Solid Fuel Stove guidance [pdf document]
- Solid Fuel Stove commissioning checklist [pdf document]
- What to do if your approved inspector discontinues service?[pdf document]
LABC PM enforcement policy [pdf document]
Find a registered electrician. A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk [external link].
General guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats see www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk [external link].
Local Authority Building Control Provides detailed Guidance notes on what work requires Building Regulation Approval which can be accessed through the links below. If you are still unsure please do not hesitate to contact us on 01325 406214.
- LABC Front Door [external link]
- LABC Front Door building regulation guidance [external link]
- LABC portal [external link]
Planning Portal: interactive house guide [external link]
Find out about planning permission and building regulations in regards to your house.