Guidance notes

What requires building regulation approval

  • Renovation of thermal element (for example replacement floor, wall insulation and replacement roofs)
  • New buildings
  • Extensions
  • Drainage work (including placement of fittings)
  • Removal of internal walls (loadbearing or non-loadbearing)
  • Erection of walls to form additional rooms
  • Replacement of structural elements
  • Replacement or removal of doors and windows
  • Conversions (for example: loft conversions, garage conversions)
  • Change of use

Builders and developers are required by law to obtain building control approval for most building work. This is an independent check that Building Control carry out to ensure the building regulations have been complied with.

Guidance for building work covered by Competent Persons Schemes [pdf document]

What to do if your approved inspector discontinues service?[pdf document]

Guidance notes

Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes [external link].

General guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats see [external link].

Planning Portal: interactive house guide [external link]

Find out about planning permission and building regulations in regards to your house.