From time to time the Council commissions retail studies of the Borough and its catchment area to inform the development plan, assist with the assessment of planning applications and help in the management of the town centre. Studies were carried out in 2008, 2010, 2014 and most recently in November 2017.
2017 Update - Current Version
White Young Green Planning were commissioned by Darlington Borough Council to undertake an update of the previous Darlington Retail and Town Centre Study of July 2014. The Darlington Retail Study (November 2017) [pdf document] will assist the Council in taking forward the emerging Darlington Local 2016-2036 and, in particular, will inform the development of policies to accommodate identified retail needs.
- Appendix 1 - Planning Policy Context [pdf document]
- Appendix 2a Health Check Assessment [pdf document]
- Appendix 2b Darlington - Diversity of Use Town Centre 18 July 2018 [pdf document]
- Appendix 2c Darlington - Vacancy Plan 18 July 2018 [pdf document]
- Appendix 3a Map of Study Area [pdf document]
- Appendix 3b Map of Goad Data Zones [pdf document]
- Appendix 4 Darlington Household Survey by Zone 2013 [pdf document]
- Appendix 5 2017 Darlington Retail Tables (Scenario 1) [pdf document]
- Appendix 6 2017 Darlington Retail Tables (Scenario 2) [pdf document]
In November 2013 the Council commissioned White Young Green to undertake a Retail and Town Centre Study (September 2014) [pdf document], acting as an update of the 2010 study. The main purpose of this study was to provide an assessment of retail and leisure needs and capacity in the period to 2026, and to review the current performance of Darlington town centre, Cockerton and North Road district centres, and the six further local centres across the Borough.
Statistical Updates to Shopping Floorspace
Updates of changes in retail floorspace in the Borough since the 2008 study will be published on this webpage as part of the Council’s planning monitoring programme: Shopping Floorspace in Darlington, update to DRS, June 2011 [PDF document].