We care about you being in safe and secure accommodation.
Below is the support available to you:
- We will encourage you to stay in care until you are 18. If you choose to leave care before age 18, the law says we must provide you with suitable accommodation. If you decide you want to leave care we will ensure we provide you with the best support possible.
- We will promote staying put in your foster care placement if you want to remain living there after you turn 18.
- Access to Supported Lodgings Provision. This is where you have your own room in a provider’s home. They will work with you to support you as a young adult until you are ready to move on to other accommodation.
- An opportunity to have a taste of independent living in one of our 6 taster flats throughout Darlington Borough Council will be available to you when you feel ready and one is available.
- If you are 16-18 years old you can have access to Kensington Gardens which is a 3 bedroomed semi supported accommodation option.
- If you are age 16-25 you can have access to our dedicated flats within the YMCA Foyer provision in Darlington. Support is available 24 hours.
- If you, your carer, your Social Worker and Personal Advisor all agree that you are ready to move into your own accommodation you can register with Compass from the age of 17 years and 9 months and start bidding on properties in your preferred area.
- As a care leaver you will have priority band 1 when bidding on council and housing association properties within Darlington Borough Council. Your Personal Advisor can help you with this.
- All care leavers residing in Darlington up to the age of 25 can apply for up to 100% council tax support reduction, this support is means tested and dependent on income.
- You will be supported to access and appropriately spend your setting up home allowance.
- You will be invited to attend independent living skills workshops within the young people facilities based within Pease House.
- We will provide you with a reference to support any housing applications.