Health and wellbeing
We care about your health and wellbeing and understand that looking after your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
Below is the support available to you:
- Support you to register with a Doctor, Dentist and Optician, and attend appointments with you if you require.
- Give you information on healthy living, access to healthy eating advice and guidance via one to one sessions or group work.
- Give you information on getting help to pay for prescriptions (NHS Low Income Scheme).
- Support you to move from CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) to adult mental health services.
- As a Darlington care leaver you will have access to a dedicated Psychological Well-being Practitioner based within Pease House on a weekly basis.
- Give you information about counselling services that are available local to you and offer support to attend.
- Give you help with transport costs when attending health appointments.
- Provide you with a Live Card which enables you to have free access to Darlington Borough Council’s leisure services. This includes gym, fitness classes, yoga and swimming pools as we know that physical activity is beneficial to having good mental health.
- If you are a young parent, we will support you to do the best for your child. We will help you arrange childcare, if this is what you want. We will support you to attend important appointments about your child.
- Give you information about health drop-in sessions.
- Work with you and the LAC (Looked After Children) Health Team to develop a ‘health passport’ containing key information from your childhood (for example, when and if you have had immunisations) and your current health needs.
- C Cards can be used at our leaving care serviced based in Pease House to access free condoms and support can be provided to make appointments with the sexual health clinic based within Darlington Memorial Hospital.
- Details for telephone helplines, apps and websites that are free to access can be provided should you prefer to access support this way. A computer is available in the young people’s room within Pease House that you can use to access these sites.
- You are entitled to access the Leaving Care Larder, delivery day on a Tuesday at Pease House.