Applying for a school place during the academic year (in-year)

The Local Authority co-ordinates the processing of in-year applications for all schools in Darlington Borough.

Families who move into the region, who require a place(s) at a Darlington school, other than at the normal point of entry, must contact the Schools Admissions Team at the Town Hall.

Parent/carers will be sent an in-year application form to complete which must be returned to the Schools Admissions Team for processing.

Admission authorities must notify a parent/carer within 15 school days on receipt of the application as to whether a place will be offered or not.

A decision about a school place will be made by the admission authority if an Academy school or the local authority if a maintained school. 

Should however a parent/carer request a place at a school that has no places available, then they will be informed about the appeals process.

Applications from overseas children

In most cases children arriving from overseas have the right to attend schools in England.

Nationals entering the UK who wish to apply for a state-funded school place should check that they have a right of abode or the conditions of their visa otherwise permit them to access a state-funded school.

For further information/guidance please visit the DfE website at[external link] or use the following .gov link Schools admissions: applications for overseas children [external link].

Install our web app.