Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Lodgers and subletting

You have the right to take in lodgers as long as it does not make your home overcrowded.

You must inform us in writing first, and if you receive Universal Credit [external link] or housing benefit, you must also tell them you have a lodger.

If you have sublet part of your home it may affect the amount of Universal Credit or housing benefit you receive. You can't take in lodgers if you live in a sheltered unit or other form of supported accommodation.

You can sublet part of your home but you must get our permission in writing first.

We will refuse permission if:

  • it will make your home overcrowded
  • we are planning work on your home which will affect the accommodation used by the lodger or subtenant

There are legal differences between a lodger and a subtenant.

You should get advice before renting a room in your home.

If you apply for a transfer, lodgers and subtenants are not our responsibility. They will not be considered part of your household. If you move out, you must not leave lodgers or subtenants in your home.

If you do take in a lodger or sublet part of your home, remember that you are responsible for their behaviour. If they cause a nuisance or harass your neighbours, you will be breaking your tenancy. You may then be at risk of losing your home.

If you are going away for more than 42 days, you must tell let us know. This information will be kept confidential. We recommend that you provide your forwarding address and a contact phone number. This is in case there is an emergency and we need to get into your home. 

You cannot sublet or give up possession of your entire home. If you do, you will lose your secure tenancy and we will take back your home.

Council tenants who sublet their home must check the immigration status of a person before they allow them to move in. This is as per the right to rent legislation in the Immigration Act (2014). If you don't do this you may be liable for a penalty of up to £3,000 per tenant.

Please find a full copy of the document right to rent, code of practice.[external link]

Illegal subletting

If you are an introductory tenant you do not have the right to sublet part of your home.

Secure tenants do have the right to sublet part of their home but must have written permission from us to do this.

No tenant has the right to sublet the whole of their property.

If we find out that someone is illegally occupying one of our properties we will take legal action to get the property back.

If you suspect that a tenant is illegally subletting their home, please let us know.

Call:01325 405333 or email us at [email protected].

How to contact us

There are several ways you can contact us:

Any emergency repairs can be reported to 01325 405333 24/7 365 days a year.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

We hope that we can work together with our residents and listen to their voices and resolve any problems, but if you are unhappy with the response from the Housing team we have a complaints procedure you can follow and you can contact our Complaints Team by:

Install our web app.