Rethinking Victoria Road consultation
Following the ‘Rethinking Victoria Road’ consultation events in November 2018 and publication of the final report in April 2019, Darlington Borough Council are currently updating residents on the latest detailed plans for Victoria Road. Feedback from residents and businesses have shaped these updated plans and we would welcome your views once more.
Victoria Road was identified as a key street that links our ambitious plans for Darlington Station, the redevelopment of the Auction Mart site and our ongoing support of the town centre economy. We want to improve the public spaces and the street environment for those that live, work and visit the area. The work on Victoria Road will aim to improve the journey to the station for those walking or cycling, whilst also considering those arriving by bus or car. The plans will improve the public realm for residents, businesses and visitors on this key gateway to the town with reduced traffic speeds, wider footpaths and the introduction of trees and planters.
During the consultation carried out by Groundwork earlier this year a key message was that local people are very proud of their area and feel that it deserves some investment of money and resources. This is the start of that process. Other feedback about the redevelopment of the Station, Auction Mart site and improvements to the buildings were noted and will be considered as part of our future ambitions for the area. There will be more opportunities next year for you to view and comment on plans as they develop.
Updated detailed plans for Victoria Road can be found here [pdf document].
Council Officer’s will be available to talk through the plans for Victoria Road, and record your comments in the following drop in sessions:
- 11am till 1pm on Thursday 19 December at the Buddhist Centre (81 Victoria Road)
- 10am till 12pm on Saturday 21 December at the Dolphin Centre
- 3pm till 6.30pm on Monday 23 December at the Dolphin Centre
Alternatively, you can have your say on the proposals by completing our survey [external link] before Monday 13 January 2020.
Victoria Road consultation report April 2019 is below:
- Victoria Road final report [pdf document]
- Appendix 1 - Boundary map [pdf document]
- Appendix 2 - Letters to residents and businesses [pdf document]
- Appendix 3 - Survey Monkey questions [pdf document]
- Appendix 4 - Residential sheltered housing consultation Friday 30th November [pdf document]
- Appendix 5 - Initial drop in sessions results [pdf document]
- Appendix 6 - Stickyworld flier [pdf document]
- Appendix 8 - Survey Monkey results [pdf document]
- Appendix 9 - Traffic survey results [pdf document]
- Appendix 10 - Concept plans [pdf document]
- Appendix 11 - Stickyworld stage 2 results [pdf document]
- Appendix 12 - Public consultation feedback [pdf document]
- Appendix 13 - Police response [pdf document]
- Appendix 14 - letters and emails sent directly to Groundwork [pdf document]