Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is serious or persistent behaviour that causes:

  • harassment
  • alarm
  • distress

within a community or society.

Examples include:

  • street drinking
  • rowdy behaviour
  • inconsiderate and nuisance behaviour
  • inappropriate use of vehicles
  • motorbike nuisance
  • begging
  • harassment

It may involve individuals or groups.

Anti-social behaviour is not:

  • ball games
  • neighbour disputes
  • domestic issues
  • drug use
  • violent behaviour

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You can make non urgent reports to us online.

Report anti-social behaviour online

You can call us anonymously on 01325 406999.

You can call the non-emergency number 101.

In an emergency call 999.

Anti-social behaviour involving council housing or tenants

How we handle nuisance and anti social-behaviour in relation to council housing.

How we will respond

In most cases we will contact you within 24 hours to let you know we are looking into your issue.

If you are the target of anti-social behaviour or you are experiencing abuse/harassment we may need to speak to you before we can start an investigation.

You can report anti-social behaviour anonymously.

We can act as a witness on your behalf.

We can meet you at your home, in our office or somewhere else if you would prefer.

Acceptable behaviour agreements (ABAs)

Some of the action we can take is to interview perpetrators, speak to their parents if they are under 16 and set up ABAs.

The agreements can run for a specified time and can contain prohibitions.

For example:

  • not to go into a particular area
  • not to swear
  • not to associate with other offenders

The content of the ABA is drawn from gathered evidence.

Where appropriate, failure to follow the agreed terms can result in:

  • Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders

Deterrents for anti-social behaviour

As punishment for anti-social behaviour perpetrators can receive:

  • civil injunctions
  • Community Protection Notices (CPN)
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBO)

The above replaced Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in 2014.

A court may give a civil injunction or the local authority may issue a CPN if it gets reports of persistent anti-social behaviour.

You can only get a CBO if you are convicted of a crime linked to anti-social behaviour.

Community trigger

When a problem is not resolved you can activate a community trigger.

The community trigger gives victims of anti-social behaviour the opportunity to request a review of their case.

It brings agencies together to help find a solution.

This is not to be used for complaints about how the enforcement team have handled your issue.

You can send complaints about council officials to corporate complaints.

Install our web app.