Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Housing and building services privacy notice

Who do you keep information about?

We keep information about current and former tenants of the Council’s housing stock. We also keep information about individuals who have applied for Council housing, refugees and asylum families and individuals living in the Borough.

Why do you keep information about me?

We process personal data so we can offer appropriate advice and support to customers; support customers to find and sustain accommodation throughout the Borough of Darlington and fulfil our duties as a landlord in relation to repairs and maintenance. We also use your information to improve the service we provide and undertake Tenant Satisfaction Measures (TSM’s) as per the requirements of the Regulator of Social Housing.

We do this because we have a legal obligation to do so or because we are carrying out a task in the public interest or in the official exercise of authority vested in the Council as a data controller. Our obligation is set out in the following legislation:

  • The Housing Act 1996.
  • The Homelessness Act 2002.
  • Localism Act 2011.
  • Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme 2014.
  • Homeless Reduction Act 2017.
  • Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme 2014.
  • Article 1 of Geneva Convention (as amended by 1967 protocol).
  • Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • Immigration Act 2016.
  • United Nations 1951 Refugee Convention.
  • Human Rights Act 2000
  • Chapter 6, Section 193 Housing and Regeneration Act 2008.

The provision of such personal data is part of a statutory and contractual requirement. It is a criminal offence for anyone applying for housing from a housing authority to knowingly or recklessly give false information or knowingly withhold information which is relevant to a housing application (Section 171 of the Housing Act 1996).

Where we process special categories of personal data, we do so because it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of UK law which is proportionate to the aim pursued and which contains appropriate safeguards.

Who can see my information?

Access to information is restricted to staff dealing with housing income management, housing tenancy management, housing options and choice based letting, planning of housing repairs and maintenance.  This may include organisations we contract to undertake this work on our behalf.  

We may also need to share your information with the Regulator of Social Housing, the Housing Ombudsman Service, social housing providers, police, probation, social services, NHS, utilities companies, continuous recording of social housing lettings and sales CORE.

How do you store the information you keep about me?

Information is stored electronically on the Council’s system called CDP, MRI Software (Home Search/Jigsaw, Docusign, Housing Enterprise, Darlington Home On-line, Asset, Housing Repairs) Rent Sense, Answerlink (Jontek/Legrand Care), Netcall Liberty Converse, Possession Claim Online, Unit 4 (Agresso), QMatic, SAVA (Intelligent Energy), SAP (Business Objects), the Government’s CORE system and on the Council’s and Microsoft’s secure servers. 

Some paper records also exist, these are stored in lockable filling cabinets.

How long do you keep information about me?

Housing Information about your Tenancy and Income Management is kept for a period of 12 years from end of tenancy.

Homeless Advice and Tenancy Support is kept for a period of 7 years.

Information in relation to Refugee Support will be kept for 12 years, with the exception of the Homes for Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme will be kept for 2 years of the closure of the scheme unless DLUHC and the Home Office identifies that its continued retention is unnecessary before that point.

All information is destroyed securely when we no longer need it.

Is my information used to make an automated decision about me and/or for profiling purposes?

Yes, for housing application purposes. However, this decision is also reviewed by an individual.

(You do have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing. You can ask for any automated decision made about you to be reviewed by an individual.)

How did the Council get my personal data?

As well as information, which is provided by you or your representative, we may also receive your information from other agencies, such as health care professionals, the Police, social services, probation, voluntary sector organisations, banks and building societies and HM Courts and Tribunals Service.

In cases where your personal data was obtained from a source other than you or your representative, we will inform you of the origin of the information within 1 month, unless that information is being used to contact you, in which case, that information should be provided to you at the latest, upon first communication with you. However, it is not necessary to provide that information in cases where you already possess the information, where recording or disclosure is expressly laid down in law or where provision of the information proves impossible or would involve disproportionate effort.

What sort of information do you keep?

We may use the following information about you to make sure that we provide you with the right service, advice, or support. We will only use the minimum amount of information necessary to do so and will take every reasonable step to ensure the information is accurate.

Personal data:

  • Name.
  • Identification number.
  • Location data.
  • Online identifier.
  • One of more factors specific to the Physical, Physiological, Genetic, Mental, Economic, Cultural and Social identity of an individual.

Special categories of personal data:

  • Racial or ethnic origin.
  • Political opinions.
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs.
  • Data concerning health.
  • Data concerning a natural person’s sexual orientation.

Install our web app.