Public space closed circuit television (CCTV)
Who do you keep information about?
We keep information about any individual in the Borough of Darlington.
Why do you keep information about me?
CCTV recordings are used for public safety interests and the prevention and detection of crime, apprehension and prosecution of offenders and for legal proceedings.
Recordings also provide enforcement agencies with evidence of criminal activity, for formal actions including prosecutions in court and identification of offenders in investigations.
These recordings contain images of the public going about their daily business as well as offenders, persons wanted and missing.
On occasions where RIPA applies, this may include targeted footage of private property.
The legal basis for us processing your personal data/special category personal data is:
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller; and
- Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of Union or Member State law which is proportionate to the aim pursued and which contains appropriate safeguards.
The lawful basis for processing the data comes under:
- Section 163 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994;
- Crime and Disorder Act 1998;
- Protection of Freedoms Act 2012;
- Police and criminal evidence act 1984; and
- Criminal Procedure and Investigation Act 1996 or the Regulation of
- Investigatory Powers Act 2000.
Who can see my information?
Information will be shared with:
- CCTV operators;
- Internal/External enforcement agencies Trading Standards and HMRC;
- Police Forces;
- Fire and Rescue Services;
- With members of the public who have a legitimate right of access under the Data Protection or Freedom of Information Acts; and
- We will share details of those convicted with local crime reduction partnerships.
We also disclose information in accordance with the GDPR/Data Protection Act 2018 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
How do you store the information you keep about me?
CCTV images are recorded on DVR files and DVDs on a secure CCTV locked system which is standalone and not connected to any internal or external network.
How long do you keep information about me?
CCTV images are held for 30 days for non-requested footage, or 30 days from time of any footage requested and secured. There may be times we are required to hold information for longer in the case of defending a legal claim or where technical reasons we are unable to dispose of your information in accordance with the time scale set.
This information is destroyed securely when we no longer need it.
How did the Council get my personal data?
From CCTV Cameras feeding live video images into the CCTV control room, Police, Airwave Radio, Shop and Pub Watch radio, emails, and from phone callers.
In cases where your personal data was obtained from a source other than yourself or your representative, we will inform you of the origin of the information within 1 month, unless that information is being used to contact you, in which case, that information should be provided to you at the latest, upon first communication with you. However, it is not necessary to provide that information in cases where you already possess the information, where recording or disclosure is expressly laid down in law or where provision of the information proves impossible or would involve disproportionate effort.
What sort of information do you keep?
We may use the following information about you to make sure that we provide you with the right service, advice or support. We will only use the minimum amount of information necessary to do so and will take every reasonable step to ensure the information is accurate.
- Location data
- One or more factors specific to the physical identity of a natural person
- One or more factors specific to the mental identity of a person
- One or more factors specific to the economic identity of a person
- One or more factors specific to the cultural identity of a person